Thursday, August 31, 2006

My graduation from 'mocoso' to 'hombrecito'

A few days ago I reached the 10 year anniversary of my move to Vancouver for graduate school. August 23rd, 2006. What a milestone!

It was a cold day, I recall. That was surprising since Mexico isn't characteristically cold. My older brother and his family had already left, as he was going to do his PhD in the United States. Five days and my Mom had to see two of her children move to different countries. In my case, I was the one who moved the farthest. My other brother was already in the US, so 60% of my Mom's children were living abroad by September of 1996 (this percentage increased to 80% by 2000).

I reflected on Caro's blog that ten years ago I moved to Vancouver. The reflection being that, before 1996, I avoided at all costs living away from my family. I did my undergraduate degree near my hometown just so that I could see my parents and brothers every other day. And then, one day I told myself "I can do it. I am going to do it." So I packed everything, quit a rather lucrative job, and moved to Vancouver to start my Masters.

And then I stayed... and I decided that this is where I want to live. I fell in love with Vancouver. But moreover, I grew up. I stopped being the wimpy little Momma's boy and became a strong young man with the grit and willingness to face the challenge of a country I didn't know. I graduated from 'mocoso' to 'hombrecito'

2 comments:

marcela en canada said...

What a graduation! Congratulations on the decision, you've made a great person of yourself.

Raul said...

Thanks Marcela :) *blushes*

I still need to figure out how to add you guys to my Favourite Blogs :(

I'm still a dork!