Saturday, September 16, 2006

Restaurant review - Slickitty Jim's

Well, last night I went to see Lino do stand-up comedy, at Marcela's invitation. I had a really good time, and I was impressed with Lino's ability to make jokes in English! That takes a lot of hard work and courage. Kudos to him!

Since I frequently read their blogs, I found out that they had reviewed a few restaurants in the past, some of which I have visited myself. Having lived in Vancouver for ten years, it is likely that I haven't been to pretty much just about every nice restaurant within the Vancouver area. For sure, when I have been out and about I've done my share of Burnaby/North Vancouver/New Westminster restaurants, but for the most part I've been a Vancouver eater. Furthermore, traditionally I have been a Downtown/Yaletown/West End/Kitsilano customer. So, it's kind of hard to try and find new places. Chances are, I've been there already!

So I thought I'd continue with my restaurant reviews with my traditionally favourite meal: brunch. For those of you who are brunch-addicts, Slickitty Jim's a great choice. Located between Broadway and 10th Avenue on Main Street, it is basically a few steps away from the Main St. 99 B-Line stop. It is small, usually crowded on weekends, and definitely can get a line-up if you aren't there by 8 am.

That being said, I went for breakfast/brunch with Mom a couple of months back when she was visiting Vancouver. Three times, if I recall correctly. Now, for me to repeat brunch three times during a three-week visit, that must indicate something. The place is not good. It is awesome! [Correction - Mom was here for a month]

The owner is there running the show, she is sweet, kind, caring and the food is just amazing. Mom and I had both the Chorizo Scramble (I think that's the name, I forget) - unbelievably good. Very filling and reasonably priced. If you want to get a taste of Main St., breakfast Slickitty Jim's-style sounds like a good idea.

1 comment:

Lino Coria said...

Thanks for mentioning my stand up bit.