Sunday, June 10, 2007

Music review - Getting Away with It by Electronic

If you ever liked the sounds of Pet Shop Boys and New Order, I could almost be sure you've come across this song. "Getting Away with It" by Electronic is one of the most energetic songs I've heard. Electronic included Bernard Sumner of New Order and Johnny Marr of the Smiths. For this song they invited Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys.

This song has the magic effect of bringing tears to my eyes and shake me profoundly. Not because of the lyrics ("I love you more than you love me" - how sad!) but because this song marked the beginning of a very successful period of my life. This song has been present in my life every time I have shifted gears and moved forward. Whenever I have needed an energy booster to focus on a project, I have listened to this song.

The lyrics are somewhat puzzling because they would appear to show conflicting personalities. On the one hand, "I love you more than you love me" would implicitly mean some degree of co-dependency with one's partner. But the phrase that I thought applied to me was "I've been getting away with it all my life". That's exactly how I felt at the time. That even in the direst of circumstances, I was always able to pull it off and get away with it. I hope to always be so lucky.

Below you will find the video of the studio recording session.

No comments: