Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas 2007!

While still considered a Christian tradition, more and more people have started to celebrate Christmas. Even though I've lived in Canada for over 12 years, I still consider Christmas Eve (tonight) as the celebration and Christmas Day is pretty much a day of relaxation and family gatherings. Only one year (1996, in Ann Arbor, Michigan) have I celebrated Christmas in the American and Canadian traditions.

As I was trying to find the Wikipedia definition of Christmas, I also found a discussion page on the controversy surrounding Christmas. All the time since I've lived in Canada, I've had more and more people tell me "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I chalked it up to an interest in being more culturally diverse and religiously aware. But many people think otherwise.

You'd be surprised at how much content you can find on Wikipedia on Christmas. Many of my friends in Canada, while not typically religious, tend to be followers of the tradition (in several cases, just to follow family customs). That works the same way in my case. I was born and raised Catholic (well, born into the Catholic tradition, some would say). However, with time, these customs have relaxed, particularly given my exposure to different cultures and religions while I've lived abroad.

Last night I made a point with my brother that, the only reason why I am in Mexico for the holidays is to see my parents, my brothers and their family, to spend time with my close friends
here and, specifically, to make this holiday season as enjoyable for my Mom as I possibly can. So I guess I'll embark in a pseudo-Christmas truce: I'll stop bickering and fighting during these holidays. I can get back to those when I am back in Vancouver, hehe :)

Merry Christmas to all my readers, and for all of you who do not celebrate Christmas in that sense, happy holidays!

No comments: