Thursday, February 01, 2007

Gentrification again - damn it! Soma closes its doors...

I was taking a break from writing and checked Beyond Robson, which is a local, Vancouver-based blog. I read Beyond Robson mostly when I am not in Vancouver (e.g. when I was in Mexico I read it non-stop). I like to think of myself as a well-acquainted Vancouverite, so I go to their site every so often, only when I feel that I've been isolated from the outside world for way too long.

I almost choked when I read that Soma is closing its doors. For those of you who don't live in our neighborhood, Soma was a really cute cafe (very well known for their Mac users - I felt bad every time I worked there using my PC laptop!). Strategically located between Broadway and 10th Avenue, Soma was always one of the best spots to work (Waves on Main is the other one).

But according to BR's Krisztina, it will re-open where Wink was (151 East 8th Avenue). Cool. I can still walk from my place to Soma. Incredibly, I never set foot at Wink. Not because I didn't want to. I just didn't get around to it. And now, Wink is also kaput. But hopefully this trend will stop!

No comments: