Sunday, March 11, 2007

Finally!!!! -- I slept in!

The title of this posting may be completely strange for any new reader to my blog (or anyone with whom I have never discussed this particular side of my personal life). Well, I should provide some context. I live in a shared house, though I have my own ground-level basement suite. As a result, my little apartment is private yet not so private.

The house has no insulation whatsoever, so I can hear the next-door neighbors, the people living upstairs, even the person living in the top floor suite! I hear EVERYTHING. And by everything, I mean it! Yesterday (Saturday), I was violently and abruptly woken up at 7 am thanks to the upstairs neighbors kid who started screaming. Then the family got organized to go out (making a lot of noise during the process). Finally, my torture ended at around 9 am. I was grumpy for most of Saturday, and I was even grumpier when we lost a fairly close volleyball game (we won the second, but still... we could've beat the crap out of the first team).

Well, the great news are that the family living upstairs went out for the weekend. This meant that, for the first time in five months, I was able to sleep in without anybody waking me up at 6:00 am crying "Daddy, daddy, mommy, mommy" and proceeding to yell, throw stuff, run around the house and make noise for the next two hours. So I disconnected my cell phone, my land line, and closed my curtains. Today, I wanted to sleep in. And I succeeded!

One of my good friends called me early and asked me if I wanted to join her for work at a coffee shop where we usually hang out and do work. But I didn't. I was happy asleep because, for the first time in months, I was able to sleep soundly through the night without any noise.

Many people have recommended to sleep with ear plugs, or talk to my neighbors, etc. I talked to them, and while they are very nice people, they don't seem cognizant of the level of noise they make. So I might actually go for ear plugs. But I am happy to report that, for the first time in five months, I actually was able to sleep in soundly!

No comments: