Monday, April 16, 2007

Friendships (lost and rekindled)

The only drawback of a photographic memory is that there are few details that people tend to forget. I am always very good with birthdays. That's actually not always good. One of my former best friends celebrated his birthday a couple of weeks ago. I did not even send an email because we parted ways in very bitter terms and we currently do not speak to each other. For the record, I was not the one who distanced himself.

Ironically enough, I recently came across the song shown below, Como Hemos Cambiado by the Spaniard group Presuntos Implicados. This song (very beautiful indeed) talks about friendships and how people can change through time, and how people can forget about the importance of keeping their friends close. A lot of our common friends used to associate both myself and my former friend with this song.

Through time, I've always been the one to bend the old rule "fool me once, shame on you -- fool me twice, shame on me". Whenever I had disagreements with my friends, I almost always used to be the one always calling the other party. After almost two decades, I am now at the point where I am not always the one trying to mend the broken relationship. But truth be told, I'll always have a place in my heart for this former friend of mine. So here is to former friendships... and to rekindled ones!



1 comment:

marcela en canada said...

Its hard to maintain a friendship throughout time. After a fight, sometimes is good to get close, but some other times, you just grow apart, and thats good too. New people, new friends, and move on.

Good friends are hard to find and keep.