Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Restaurant review - Shabusen

Ok, so I am a sushi lover. And I am a lover of all-you-can-eat sushi. Furthermore, I love the South Granville area (four of my very best friends happen to live all within a block of each other in this neighborhood). However, I am always wary of sushi places. I think everyone needs to have his/her own favorites, and I am now quite clear that there are some that will definitely not make my cut. Shabusen is one of them.

Don't get me wrong -- many people simply love Shabusen. For numerous Vancouverites, their definition of all-you-can-eat-sushi is heading to this place located at the corner of 14th Avenue and Granville Street. I will admit I'm one of the skeptics. For the quality of food I ate the last two times I went there (one of them with L and the other with B), I really would've gone elsewhere (Tanpopo, for example). It didn't help that their prices are relatively higher than any other places I have been to.

That being said, I am willing to give Shabusen another try - perhaps in a few months. For now, I'm going to steer clear. And some of my closest friends (Copper Lioness for example) agree with me that Shabusen is overrated. I still need to find a good sushi place in Vancouver that I'll be happy with (other than the 18 pieces and miso-soup cheap eateries on Cambie and Broadway!).

Shabusen Yakiniku House (Granville) in Vancouver

No comments: