Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Music review - This Love - Cocteau Twins (Elizabeth Fraser/Craig Armstrong)

I usually hesitate to post music reviews since I am not really a music junkie. I love different styles and have quite a broad variety of music. Nevertheless, I don't think I'm an expert. But I do know what I like. I would say that the Scottish band Cocteau Twins was a much welcome addition to my collection. While I first heard one of their tunes when I was 'oh so totally in love', I ended up gelling so well with their music that it doesn't bring any bad memories.

The tune I'm including here is perhaps best known as one of the songs in the soundtrack for the movie "Cruel Intentions" with Sarah Michelle Gellar, Selma Blair, Reese Whitherspoon and Ryan Philippe. The soundtrack credits only mention Elizabeth Fraser and Craig Armstrong but the sound is very much along the lines of CT.

A funny tidbit many of you may or may not know... Liz was famous for singing in some form of "gibberish"(but meant in a good way!)... and the Cocteau Twins capitalized on that unique characteristic of their lead singer. If you like this type of chill-out music, you may find Slowdive, Monster Movie, Weathertunes, and Enya quite appealing.

UPDATE.- I made a mistake. The title of the posting didn't coincide with the actual video I uploaded (which is indeed "This Love")... it's been fixed.

No comments: