Thursday, September 13, 2007

Does love mean knowing when to say you're sorry?

I caught a glimpse of a TV show (I rarely watch TV but this was a rare occurrence before heading out to work) where the main character was writing a spiel about the popular phrase "Love means never having to say you're sorry" (immortalized by the amazing movie Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw).

The truth is, I agree with what the TV show character said... in a nutshell, he basically said that love means knowing how to say you're sorry. I wanted to make a more nuanced proposal... love means knowing WHEN to say you're sorry. A few times I have been stubborn and refused to apologize because I thought I was right. But truth be told, I am just human, and sometimes I am wrong (dead wrong I'd say). So I am grateful when I have the good sense to apologize at the right time. I just hope to always be able to do that!

No comments: