Sunday, September 09, 2007

I'm out-peopled

This is so out-of-character for me. Anybody who knows me even a little bit knows that I am a people person. I seek the company of people, I enjoy having a good time with friends and I am always on the look-out for new acquaintances/friendships. So, it's strange for everyone who knows me well enough to hear me say that I'm "out-people-d".

My good friend Nomade Moderne has hung out with me when this happens to me, and he knows all too well that I normally avoid large crowds or groups of people when I am feeling like I need space. The great thing about this, he is so laid back and relaxed, that I feel very much at ease. When I feel "engentado" (out-peopled), I still hang out with one or two close friends, but for the most part, I cocoon. Again, I can't stress this enough, this is not normal for me. But after having been at a 5,000 people conference, I am really needing space.

So, to my friends and family: don't worry if I pull a Greta Garbo on you -- I will be back :) [the origin of this phrase, which I have used when I disappear from people's sight for a few days, is derived from the silent film star - legend says that she disappeared from the public eye and she is often quoted as having said these famous last words: "I want to be left alone"]. I have to confess that I never have read Garbo's auto-biography but I can totally understand why she would need space from public scrutiny.

I will of course still blog and will see my close friends, but I may avoid large crowds, so I may not say yes to parties or much socialization this week! :)

No comments: