Anyhow, on to the substance of my apparently fluffy post (and yes I know that Gore and the IPCC won the Nobel Prize 2007, I have a post in the works to discuss that, and it's a serious one, so please hold off until I have finished baking said post). I have managed to create a series of 'trademark Raul dishes' that I can prepare and basically wow everyone who comes over for dinner. So I thought I'd share some of the recent meals I have prepared. Now, you will notice that I haven't actually posted MY recipes, but I haven't managed to type my recipes, so that's why.
Anyhow, here they are:
Option # 1 - Dinner for AF - This was a fairly recent one, and I followed my Mom's style:
- Starter: Chicken broth with green onion
- Main course: Mole con Pollo (chicken mole), arroz rojo (red rice)
- Dessert: Marshmallow cheesecake
Option # 2 - Dinner for SF - This was earlier in the year, and I am glad I invited her over for dinner before she moved to Montreal.
- Starter: Green salad (lettuce, tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette)
- Main course: Chicken breast marinated in herbs and garlic, wild rice as a side dish
- Dessert: Macedonia de frutas (fruit cocktail) - I have never understood why they call this dessert Macedonia, but it's basically fruit cocktail.
- Starter: Green salad
- Main course: Chicken curry (red) with potatoes and mushrooms and onions with basmati rice - The idea of adding potatoes and mushrooms is originally mine.
- Dessert: Banana bread pudding (banana bread heated up and then ice cream on top) - I learned how to do this dessert from Burgoo (the restaurant up in Point Grey)
- Starter: French onion soup - Quite obviously I don't do cheese, so I'll have to modify the recipe.
- Main course: Capellini a la Puttanesca - Some people do other types of pasta, and quite frankly I do more rottini than capellini but oh well.
- Dessert: Chocolate/marble pie -- No clue how I'm going to do this.
- Not very time consuming
- Easy to prepare
- Can be cooked in large or small portions
- Are fairly inexpensive but showy
- And, most importantly - the kind of meal you can prepare for a good friend.