Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's all those little details...

In the past few weeks, I've been paying more and more attention to small details that just brighten my day. One of the best ways to give myself a "pick me up" is to remember how lucky I am to have the supporting group of friends that I have. A few examples:
  • L and W took me to brunch at The Nice Cafe. They also brought me flowers for my apartment. On a rainy day, these little details made me feel so much better. It's also nice to know that my friends can accommodate my quirks (I don't eat cheese and I enjoy greasy spoon places for brunch).
  • As we often do, C, B, J, L and I went for dinner at Kishu Mountain. The sushi was excellent, the company was superb and I was witness to a small little detail that just made my evening. L brought B a page of Canada stickers (as she had just recently written her citizenship test). This is a demonstration that she cares.
  • I have felt the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder (a mild version) since I first moved to Vancouver, but these past couple of years it has affected me much more. J got me a LiteBook(R) to help me cope with this challenge. Isn't that sweet?
  • A few days back, when I was feeling somewhat blue, A took me for crepes to La Bretagne Creperie near Robson. She knows very well how much I enjoy crepes and she took the initiative to bring me there. We shared, as we often do, our crepes, and it was such a great time!
  • B organized a Diwali party recently and she invited me and insisted that I participated. That helped me a lot because it made me socialize again (this weekend I've been quite anti-social, despite the fact that I've been playing a lot of volleyball). I know she cares deeply for me, and I really appreciate it.
The list could go on for pages and pages, but this is just a small reminder to myself that I've been lucky to be a witness to my friends' lives. By the same token, I am proud to have them be witnesses to my own life. As someone once said, "count your blessings".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *heart* La Bretagne Creperie! I am there regularly, since I live a block away! (I can almost see it from my balcony!)

Another thing you can do to help with SAD is take a ton of vitamin D -- which will help with many cancer risks as well. So important. And... have you heard of 5HTP? Search for it on my blog, and ask your doc about it, if not. I found it helped me tremendously!

Cheers!