Saturday, November 03, 2007

The voice of my blog and some quick thoughts

This weekend is crazy. Even though I've been feeling under the weather, I've already managed to do dinner with C, B, J and another friend of them, JM. It was really nice, B gave me her recipe for a ma po chicken that was amazing. C and B really spoil me rotten, I admit it. And J has started to open up more, so we can actually joke around each other.

Had the chance to do brunch with JH who is an adorable young woman. During our conversations we reflected on how much do people know someone and how much people think they know us. I think I'm pretty transparent, so whomever thinks he/she knows me, chances are he or she does indeed know me. However, I am not sure that's the case with everyone. We discussed the possibility that some people may think they know you better than they indeed really know you. What do you dear readers think?

On another quick thought, Paul, Keith and Erija have kindly commented that my blog already has a voice. It's an interesting thought... I am not sure what the voice is, really... but I like the idea :)

Third quick thought - an interesting trend I've noticed in some seasoned bloggers is a tendency to post three essays in a row. I don't generally do that, sometimes I do blog a lot sometimes I can't write for the life of me. But I'm curious to hear what you think about my blog's voice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's an important question to pose, Raul. Especially in this day and age. Let's face it; people google people. Plenty have googled my name and ended up at the blog or at my few little other cyber-spaces. Obviously, the Internet conveys a limited and controlled amount of information about a person. There is no gesturing, body language, intonation, etc--- we all know that. But depending on how much one chooses to reveal, sometimes one could know quite a few personal details without actually knowing the person.

In person, it still depends on how much an individual is willing to open up, some take more time than others. A friend of mine, for example, opens up very quickly to people in person, but chooses to be almost completely anonymous and nearly invisible online, despite being a prodigious surfer. I am less like that. I find people only know the real me through common experiences or after a number of months, maybe years. There's good and bad to both I guess.
And then some people just seem to hit it off and naturally know each other right away. Astrology anyone? ;)
Anyway, interesting topic.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, i've come across a lot of what keefer was saying...

But the thing is.. what' if you're half outgoing and half shy.. and some people never consider that what you think of the world and universe, because they had only gotten the chance to observe the outgoing side of you...

And a question to readers..... It's happened to me more than once that I had hit it off with someone who could be an amazing friend, because we got along incredibly well before either of us could analyze the situation, and restrict our responses (because in the moment.. there simply isn't any time...) But then next time you see that person... things change you had a chance to overanalyze, and the connection is overshadowed by too much rational thought...
hm.. i wonder about that quite a bit...