Monday, July 23, 2007

BC Cancer Foundation 2007 Tour of Courage

I am always amazed at the number of events that are organized in Vancouver, particularly those that support many relevant causes (amongst those that I am passionate about are HIV prevention and treatment, poverty alleviation, sustainability and cancer treatment). I found out about the BC Cancer Foundation 2007 Tour of Courage recently and thought I'd throw in a call for support for this worthy cause.

Having lost three members of my family to cancer, and having one close family member currently afflicted by the disease, I know first-hand its devastating consequences. I blogged last year about the 'invisibility of cancer'. In that post I wrote that sometimes, close family members of the person who is afflicted with cancer may simply not want to talk about it and 'wish it were gone'. Cancer thus becomes a non-spoken word, stigmatized and feared.

All this brings me to the event I wanted to promote - the BC Cancer Foundation 2007 Tour of Courage. In this event, you sponsor a biker (or you bike yourself and raise money) that goes to support cancer-related research. So I'd like to ask you, dear readers, to consider the possibility of supporting this event. Full disclosure - I am in no way associated with BC Cancer Foundation, although someone I know is biking in the event. But I am also someone who has lost family members to cancer. Thus, I'd like to help, and it would be great if you could help too.

No comments: