Saturday, July 28, 2007

Music review - At Seventeen by Jann Arden

Well, this is my kick-off post for Blogathon 2007, and what a better way to start the 24 hour marathon of blogs than doing one of my music reviews. I had the opportunity to watch The Simpsons' movie recently, and just before the movie started, during the previews, we had the opportunity to watch Jann Arden's recent video "At Seventeen".

Now, I want to first stand corrected, because I told a very good friend of mine that I thought this was an original song by Jann Arden. It actually isn't. "At Seventeen" was a Janis Ian song that Arden covered in her "Uncover Me" album. According to Wikipedia, Ian won a Grammy in 1975 for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for this tune.

I love this song, even if I find it sometimes a little bit depressing. It does bring tears to my eyes when I listen to it. However, that's the case sometimes with Jann Arden's songs. An accomplished songwriter and singer, Arden is capable of bringing out very strong and powerful emotions.

Here is the video rendition of Jann Arden, "At Seventeen". Hope you like it. Happy Blogathon! And to my fellow blogathoners, go bloggers go! :) Vancouver participants of this year's blogathon that I know of are Miss604 and Open Up.

No comments: