Monday, July 16, 2007

Restaurant review - The Mongolie Grill (Broadway and Cambie)

One of my close friends (T) is leaving for Ottawa, so a bunch of us agreed to go out and have dinner with her before she left, and we settled for The Mongolie Grill. I can't recall the last time I ate there, but it seems like a popular location and I hadn't had Mongolian food in a long while so I thought "why the heck not". Furthermore, it was T's farewell so I am not one to complain about location choice when my friends are leaving town.

Anyway, the deal in this restaurant is that you choose your meats, veggies, noodles and sauces and then they weigh your place and stir-fry it. Quite simple. Surprisingly for me, all my friends (all of them female) knew the weight of their food, approximately. So did I, but I think it's because I cook too. I think that helps :-)

So we had the patio, our server was attentive (I wasn't shocked at the high level of service, but she was nice enough) although splitting the bill was a bit of a hard time. Nevertheless, if you think about the fact that it came to about 12-15 dollars per person, and they serve complimentary rice, it wasn't that bad. We weren't served the soup, though (now that I think about it - I did not even remember!) but I am sure we could have if we had remembered to ask.

The food is nice and the cook is a really nice guy, but I am not entirely sure people are satisfied with the level of service of this particular location (Broadway and Cambie). I read some pretty nasty reviews that are here and here.

I can't complain much because I got what I wanted: tasty food and the company of awesome friends, in a well ventilated space (we got the patio). But I suppose that there are good and bad elements to this restaurant. In my view, it's worth coming with lots of friends... there are discussions around "what are you having for dinner" all the time :)

Mongolie Grill (Broadway) in Vancouver

No comments: