Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mole con Pollo

There are a few perks associated with having a mother who knows how to cook well. First, you learn when you observe (or when she shares her recipes - and my mother has lots of them). Second, you get to eat tasty yummy food all the time (or at least, when she visits). Third, you learn the tricks of the trade for when you need to cook dinner for guests. Only problem? You end up having A LOT OF FOOD IN YOUR FRIDGE.

During my Mom's recent visit, she taught me how to make mole con pollo. Mole is considered a traditional Mexican dish. The way my Mom serves it is with chicken breast, red rice (arroz rojo) and refried beans (frijoles refritos). She cooked it when H came over for dinner, and I did it recently when I invited another very good friend for dinner.

The only problem with being single and living alone is that most days, I cook for myself. And since I don't know how to cook very small portions, I often make food for a bunch of people and end up having to throw some of these into the freezer and then warm them up for a later occasion.

At any rate, I am glad I can make my own food. For the most part, it works well. And luckily, it works well for my guests too :) My friend M is often the one who checks whether my food is edible or not (she has not had any food poisoning so I must be doing something right).

No comments: