Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's all about the equipment - installment # 5

This time I'm not blogging about the equipment I recently acquired (as I usually do) but about the equipment I should have acquired. A few weeks back, I saw what I thought was a really good backpack on sale, and I figured "hey I need a new backpack, why not", went ahead and bought it. Well, I paid the price of a bad purchase.

I bought a couple of bottles of wine to bring to one of the parties I recently attended (one Chardonnay and one Cabernet-Sauvignon). You know, in case someone likes red and somebody likes white wine. So in an effort to be environmentally friendly (and given the current status of garbage collection in Vancouver), I refused to have the bottles packed in plastic bags and instead put them in said backpack.

No later than two minutes, my backpack straps got untied and the contents fell right off. Of course, as you can imagine, disaster ensued. Luckily, only the Chardonnay broke but obviously, the content of my backpack got totally soaked in white wine. And even luckier, it wasn't the red wine that broke.

The part that really annoyed me is that some of my research notebooks got totally soaked, which doesn't bode well for my notes. I haven't even wanted to open them yet (I just let them dry off) but I am just bracing for the worst.

So the moral of the story? If you are going to buy a backpack, make sure it is a good one. I know for sure my next backpack will be a very good one. Not doing it again!

No comments: