Monday, August 06, 2007

Tearjerker movies? Missing on the list are...

After finding out that, as Miss604 predicted, I am technically now part of the Vancouver blogging community (I found myself in the Urban Vancouver news aggregator, which is actually quite an honour) and recognizing that there are other better known bloggers in Vancouver, I checked out Darren Barefoot's blog. From there I backtracked to Meg Fowler's blog and found that she talked about Entertainment Weekly's list of the top 50 tearjerker movies.

I consider myself a movie fiend, and thus I was quite disappointed to see that they had missed a few films that have caused my eyes to well (or fully weep, as the case may be). They did hit the nail in the head with most of them, but they also left a few that I thought were worthy of a nomination. Interestingly, they did ask "what did we miss?". This is my response, and I would like to ask you my dear readers to provide your own responses in the comments section.

So without further ado, here is my list of "I Don't Understand How You Could Have Omitted This Tearjerker Film" movies that should have made EW's list and did not.

One True Thing: Admittedly, there are personal reasons why this movie makes me cry nonstop (I lost someone I loved very much to lung cancer). Nevertheless, Meryl Streep's performance was Oscar-worthy (yet she was denied that year, despite having been nominated). If you rent it, I would recommend watching it with a close friend or someone you love, as you'll probably need some emotional support.

Lorenzo's Oil
: The true story of a mom and dad who are desperately trying to find a cure to their son's incurable (and degenerative) disease. In addition to the fact that Sarandon and Nolte's performances are top-notch, this movie reminds me of my parents and their never-ending support and encouragement.

Stepmom
: There is something about Susan Sarandon (nominated for an Oscar I think five times and winner once) that just makes this movie totally worth watching. But I think Julia Roberts' performance brought her to a new level. The story of a dying Mom who helps her ex-husband's girlfriend through the transition to becoming the stepmom to her children, this film is guaranteed to give you lots of opportunities to make use of your tissues.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Even though there's lots of martial arts in this movie, I can guarantee you that you won't be able to keep your eyes dry towards the end of the movie. This movie is a gem.

Awakenings: Proving that he can be a leading drama actor, Robin Williams breaks our hearts as a doctor who attempts an experimental treatment on a group of catatonic people. He is able to wake them up but just for a short period of time. Bring lots of tissue when watching this movie and cuddle up with your loved one. Robert DeNiro was nominated for an Oscar for his phenomenal performance in this movie.

What Dreams May Come
: Again, another phenomenal performance by Robin Williams, who loses his children. Further in the movie, he also dies (can it get any sadder? yes it can!). Anabella Sciorra made me cry, as did Williams, with their performances.

No comments: