Monday, August 20, 2007

Lorena Ochoa wins Canadian Open (golf)

There are many reasons to love Mexico and Mexican culture. It is sometimes frustrating that soccer football (traditionally the national sport) receives so much attention, and that so many negative things are said about Mexico (more so by some Mexican natives). As I often tell my friends, there are many good things about Mexico and not everything is negative (although I am keenly aware of those negative aspects). It saddens me thus to only hear the complaints and not to hear praise for Mexican people who work really hard.

One such great Mexican representative is Lorena Ochoa. A 25-yr old golfer, Ochoa just recently won the Women's Golf Canadian Open and the Women's British Open. She is currently the world's top ranked female golfer, which in and of itself should make all Mexicans proud. But we see the flags waving when Mexico wins two rounds of the World Soccer Cup. I want to ask those who live in Mexico now whether there is a national outburst of pride with Lorena Ochoa's accomplishments. I doubt that there is such collective hysteria as when the Mexican national team wins one or two rounds, but I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate Lorena for her achievements. Well done!

No comments: